Pages

17 February, 2013

Working with Pattern

This flared skirt was made from a free pattern from a magazine. I love the design, but I wish my legs were longer. It will look better if it is knee length. This is my reflection of making this skirt where I made a few mistakes and learnt some new skills.  I will just share a few things with you.

1. Measurement: Always check the size as well as measurement. It must admit my post-pregnancy figure is not what I am very proud of. My waistline is a bit bigger than I would like. Exercise is not my best friend. When it comes to making something that fit, I learnt that I should use the actual measurement of my current waist. Not a figure that I wish I could be or a size I wish I would be. To start off, I traced  my ideal size. In reality, this ideal size is too small for me. I would need to loss 5cm on my waist in 5 days to fit into this skirt. I have to accept my body and make something that fit it. The number, however big it is, doesn't matter. Maybe, I will get back to my pregnancies body on day.




2. Tracing the pattern: I traced my pattern onto light weight sew-on interfacing instead of tissue paper. Interfacing is cheap,  easy to trace and cut, and the best thing is, the pattern is reusable.

3. Pattern to fabric: The skirt is made up of 8 panels. I  learnt I should mark all the notches from the pattern onto the fabric. This will make putting the skirt together quicker and easier. It would have saved me from guessing. Due to my laziness in marking the notches, I have to match all my pieces up with the pattern and mark the notches.

4. Zipper: I had a great fear of putting in zipper. I tried to avoid it by using buttons, elastics and velcro. With some research on the internet, reading through various blogs and watching a few YouTube video. I decided to use this project to overcome my fear. It works out okay. Learning to put in an invisible zipper is now on my to-learn list.


I wear this skirt for the first time this Sunday. It really doesn't matter what others think of it because I like it very much. I plan to re-visit this pattern and  make another knee length skirt.



No comments:

Post a Comment